Atlantik Legal Services was established by a group of experienced and ambitious professionals with the goal of providing outstanding service in the fields of commercial litigation, corporate law and tax law.
Each member of our team brings a solid legal and financial background from a different area of practice. This combination of talent and expertise is a key component to the high level of service we aim to deliver.
Our main fields of focus are:
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
- We provide comprehensive legal advice to companies and investors regarding all corporate law issues in relation to sales, mergers and acquisitions of companies.
- Due Diligence (DD)
- The Firm possesses extensive knowledge and experience in managing and conducting all types of due diligence inspections, whether in connection with mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, offerings of financial instruments or acquisition of asset portfolios.
- Company Law
- We provide companies of all sizes comprehensive advice on issues of company law as well as handling all relevant documentation. The firm’s work in this field extends to, for example, providing advice on establishment and dissolution of companies, choice of legal form for businesses, company’s structure, corporate governance and remuneration policies and financial restructuring.
- Financing of Companies and Projects
- The firm’s attorneys have specialised in providing both domestic and international entities legal advice in relation to financing of companies and projects. Furthermore, our lawyers have worked in various international financing projects involving complex legal issues relating to international tax and Icelandic regulations due to Capital Controls.
- Banks and Financial Markets
- The Firm possesses extensive experience in providing advice to domestic and foreign clients in the field of banking and financial law. Topics include drafting different types of credit facilities, raising finance in capital markets, structuring derivatives and IPOs. In addition, the Firm has assisted companies on internal audits and regulatory compliance matters.
- Foreign Exchange and Capital Controls
- Following the establishment of extensive Capital Controls in Iceland in late 2008, the attorneys of the firm have specialised in providing legal advice in relation to matters of foreign exchange and cross-border capital movements. Among the topics in this field are advising on laws and regulations on foreign exchange, as well as the investment policy of the Central Bank on foreign investments in Iceland.
- Competition Law
- The Firm provides comprehensive legal advice on competition law as well as assistance in dealing with competition authorities. Competition law is often up for discussion in connection with mergers and acquisitions and our lawyers provide all necessary services in relation to such issues.
- Tax Law
- Our lawyers have expertise in tax law and can provide clients with a comprehensive legal advice on international, European and Icelandic tax law. The firm’s attorneys have also performed tax due diligence in cooperation with accountants at Grant Thornton.
- Stock Market and Stock Exchange Law
- Atlantik has provided listed companies advice in relation to compliance, notification to the stock exchange and the FSA and provide advice in relation to internal auditing of listed companies.
- The Firm handles litigation in judicial, administrative and arbitration proceedings. The firm’s attorneys have extensive experience in litigating large-scale and complex cases in the Firm’s area of expertise. In addition to traditional litigation, the Firm’s attorneys have an excellent reputation when it comes to settlements and other types of dispute resolution.
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- In recent years Atlantik Legal Services has been one of the leading firms when it comes to provide domestic and foreign clients advice matters relating to insolvency procedure and restructuring. The Firm has successfully represented creditors of the failed Icelandic banks, undertaken the role of trustees in bankruptcy and provided detailed expert reports on the Icelandic winding-up regime.
- Contracting and Tendering
- The Firm provides all necessary services to companies operating in the construction business and participating in public procurement. The Firm’s services in this area includes advising on the drafting of contracts and handling disputes arising from contracts and public procurement procedures.
- Energy Law
- From the Firm’s establishment, it has specialised in providing expert advice to companies operating in the field of renewable energy sources, including water, wind and geothermal. The Firm’s attorneys possess extensive knowledge of the Icelandic legal environment related to energy exploration and exploitation. The Firm has successfully negotiated and drafted different types of power purchase agreements (PPAs) and overseen negotiations with governments, municipalities and state-owned companies.